Making changes to a food diary—Exercise 9A
Aim: To develop and demonstrate skill in making changes to a food diary.
Follow the steps in Procedure 9 to complete this exercise.
- To start
- Start FoodChoices®.
- Open ‘Vini’s food diary’ in the ‘Samples’ folder.
- Record the percentage of the Recommended Dietary Intake for the following in ‘Vini’s food diary’:
Vitamin A Calcium
- My prediction is that, from the following list, the food that will make the greatest improvement to Vini‘s vitamin A intake is:
4 dried apricot halves 1 mango
- My prediction is that, from the following list, the food that will make the greatest improvement to Vini‘s calcium intake is:
1 serve canned salmon
- Save ‘Vini‘s food diary‘ under a different name.
Save ‘Vini’s food diary’ as ‘Vini Revised’.
Record in the table below the vitamin A and calcium values of the original food diary.
- Make changes.
Change the food diary for Vini in the following way:
- Add one apple. Note in the table below the change in the vitamin A and calcium values and then reduce the quantity of the apple to zero.
- Add, in turn, one orange, four dried apricot halves and one mango. After each entry, record the values of vitamin A and calcium intake and then reduce the quantity of the food added to zero so that it is no longer showing in the analyses.
- Add, in turn, one tub of regular fruit yoghurt, one banana and one serve canned salmon. After each entry, record the value of vitamin A and calcium intake and then reduce the quantity of the food added to zero.
Vitamin A (mg) Calcium (mg) Original food diary 1 apple added 1 orange added 4 dried apricot halves added 1 mango added 1 tub regular fruit yoghurt added 1 banana added 1 serve canned salmon added
- Add to the food diary the quantity of the food that gave the most improved vitamin A intake and the food that gave the most improved calcium intake.
- Check your findings with your predictions at the start of the exercise.
The fact is that the food that made the greatest improvement to Vini‘s vitamin A intake was ________________
The fact is that the food that made the greatest improvement to Vini’s calcium intake was ________________
Compare the facts with your predictions. How accurate were your predictions:
Any surprises or comments? _____________________________________
- Save the document.
Save the amended food diary.
What did your amended food diary look like?
Compare your amended food diary with the following:
All components analysis for 'Vini Revised’
Self-evaluation: How did you go?
|Not very good||First class|
If your screen looks like the above, congratulations.
If not, see if you can identify why they are different. Discuss the matter with your teacher if you cannot see why there is a difference.
Reminders for next time
Make notes of anything that will help you next time you make changes to a food diary.